If you are like many people, you may be wishing your yard looked a little better than its current condition. Our experts here at Laurdane Associates can help. The key to a great yard isn’t always the sun or the soil, but the right amount of watering and proper drainage. Drainage is critical for your home as well as your yard. Without proper drainage, serious damages can be incurred. Here are a few red flags you should watch out for that signal improper drainage:
- Pooling water after a rainstorm. When you have water pooling after a rainstorm, that is a sign there is no where for that water to go! Water will always take the path of least resistance, and sometimes that path is into your home.
- Water in the basement or crawlspace. Without proper drainage, water might find its way into your basement or crawlspace. Proper drainage ensures that your water has somewhere to go besides entering your home.
- Muddy/soggy lawn. A muddy or soggy lawn spells trouble! Your plants might like a drink, but they don’t always do well with a torrent.
- Short downspouts. Go outside and check your gutters! Homes with downspouts that do not extend far enough away from your house give gallons of water easy access to your foundation.
- Property is on a slope or hill. When your property is on a slope, drainage is critical! Having something like a French drain or other drainage solution installed can give you peace of mind.
- Musty smells inside your home. Musty smells inside your home mean that water had a chance to get in your home and start to mildew. Drainage can mitigate these issues.
We would love to help you with your drainage systems. For more information on these or any other red flags, please give us a call today.